- Represented large development company in the acquisition and financing of a first-class luxury hotel in Cancun, Mexico, in excess of $70,000,000 USD;
- Structured cross border joint venture for the acquisition of a large hotel chain in Mexico in excess of $250,000,000 USD;
- Structured acquisition and sale of high end Villas and residential properties in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Acapulco, Guerrero and the Mayan Riviera;
- Counseled large U.S. based real estate Development Company regarding purchase and development of land within Mexico’s Prohibited Zone (“Zona Prohibida”), including performing due diligence, condominium regime and bilingual negotiating and drafting of purchase and financing agreements in excess of $15,000,000 USD;
- Represented large Mexican development company in negotiations to secure U.S. financing and equity partners for low income housing project in Mexico;
- Counseled U.S. investment fund in structuring their Mexican business operations for the acquisition and financing of a large hotel portfolio in Mexico, in excess of $90,000,000 USD, including incorporating in Mexico, performing due diligence, Mexican tax planning, negotiating and counseling on all aspects of the acquisition and post-closing operations.
Mexico Real Estate Services
IPG’s Mexico Real Estate Practice Area specializes in assisting our clients’ structure the sale, acquisition, leasing, financing and development of major commercial and residential properties in Mexico.
We have a substantial experience in representing real estate developers and investors in connection with the acquisition, sale and exchange of shopping centers, hotels, office buildings, multi-family projects, commercial real estate development, industrial and warehouse facilities, raw land and all forms of Mexican real estate transactions including property located within Mexico’s Restricted Zone (“Zona Restringida”).
Our attorneys and most of our staff are bilingual and bicultural and we have among our staff licensed U.S. and Mexican Attorneys. Due to our bi-national background and experience representing both Mexican and U.S. clients we are able to offer a unique perspective to these transactions that marries the practices and traditions of Mexico with the practices and requirements of U.S. buyers and lenders so as to narrow the differences and facilitate the successful closing of our clients’ Mexico real estate projects.
In recent years we have served as lead counsel to U.S and Mexican hotel developers and construction firms and represented them in structuring and negotiating the sale of their Mexican real estate projects to U.S buyers with U.S. financing. We assist our client’s organize and prepare their materials to anticipate and prepare for the extensive U.S. style due diligence required by U.S. buyers and U.S. financial institutions. We provide our clients with a private and secure web based electronic filing system where all relevant documents are organized, indexed and filed, that expedites the due diligence process, allows a rapid retrieval by authorized parties and minimizes miscommunication concerning the due diligence process.
Recent transactions include the sale of resorts/hotels in Cancun, Playa Del Carmen and Puerto Vallarta. We have also represented U.S. buyers structure, negotiate and close the acquisition of Mexican resort properties. Our firm provides the full range of U.S./Mexico legal services associated with these transactions including, the initial structuring and tax planning, negotiation of the terms of the Letter of Intent, Escrow Agreement, Buy-sell Agreements etc., real estate and corporate due diligence in Mexico, title search in Mexico, negotiation of terms of financing (U.S and Mexican securitization through Fideicomisos), negotiation and transfer of franchise agreements to representing our clients at the formal closing before the Mexican notary public.
We recognize that U.S./Mexico real estate transactions often require resources and expertise in many other areas. Accordingly, we have developed strategic alliances with consultants on both sides of the border including tax advisors, financing specialists, environmental consultants and project managers that assists us in providing our clients with the most efficient and effective methods of structuring their real estate investments in Mexico. Our experience and relationships have allowed us to structure or re-structure transactions to maximize tax savings and deferral for the benefit of one or both parties.
We provide a wide array of U.S./Mexico real estate legal services in connection with our clients’ real estate investments in Mexico including:
- Structuring the acquisition, sale, leasing, financing and development of commercial and residential properties in Mexico.
- Formation of U.S./Mexico partnerships and joint ventures for purposes of buying, selling, leasing and financing real estate projects in Mexico.
- Tax planning so as to minimize or defer taxes for one or both parties.
- Developing master-planned tourist projects along Mexico’s Restricted Zone (“Zona Restringida”).
- Bilingual/Bicultural negotiation and drafting cross border real estate agreements so as to comply with U.S. and Mexican law and to reconcile and conform them to the business practices and norms of both countries.
- Perform all aspects of Mexican due diligence.
- Mexican title search including determination of whether the property is part of an “Ejido”.
- Counsel clients on buying real property in Mexico.
IPG’s Mexico Real Estate Practice Area specializes in assisting our clients’ structure the sale, acquisition, leasing, financing and development of major commercial and residential properties in Mexico. Read More…
PG’s U.S. real estate practice area specializes in assisting clients structure the acquisition, sale, leasing, financing and development of commercial, industrial, residential and hospitality properties in the U.S. Read More…