- Represented large Mexican hotel owner and operator in the contribution of its all-inclusive hotel portfolio to a US-Netherlands joint venture. The latter consisted of several institutional partners, including one of the leading hotel franchises in the US in a transaction of a total value of $1 Billion Dollars. The transaction included a complex tax structure and various side agreements, including a joint venture agreement, seller carry-back issued through a US syndicated loan, non-compete and consulting agreements.
- Represented group of Mexican investors in structuring a joint venture with a California real estate investment firm for the acquisition and management of an office building in San Francisco, CA, in a transaction worth $27 Million Dollars. Transaction included renegotiation of existing leases with major tenants, including a government agency.
- Represented a US based client in the structuring an implementation of a joint venture with Mexican partners for the manufacturing of concrete mattresses used in subsea pipelines, including establishing US and Mexico-based companies, joint venture agreement, license and consulting agreements.
- Represented clients in planning and establishing operations for a large California Marina Management Company in La Paz, Mexico, including obtaining necessary permits, licenses, tax registrations and work visas.
- Represented US based leading plastic distribution company in dissolution of joint venture with Mexican partners.
- Represented hotel owner in an arbitration procedure relating to termination of a franchise agreement with a major US hotel chain, which resulted in a favorable settlement in favor of client. Arbitration included complex US and Mexico trademark issues.
- Represented hotel owner in the acquisition of luxury hotel in Cancun, México, in the process of foreclosure by US-based lender. The $40 Million Dollar transaction included a complicated loan workout and structuring.
BRIDGING THE GAP BETWEEN THE US AND MEXICO
IPG’s U.S. – Mexico Legal Services Area specializes in handling the unique international legal needs of clients—whether they are foreign clients looking to do business in the U.S. or domestic clients looking to expand their business internationally.
We assist our clients in exploring, evaluating and, if appropriate, establishing their International and Mexican business operations. Due to our experience and extensive contacts throughout Mexico, we offer a broad array of valuable services including assisting our clients find and evaluate their potential business partners, conducting extensive due diligence, title search, strategic business and legal planning, setting up cross border joint ventures, planning and coordinating the establishment of wholly-owned manufacturing operations and maquiladoras, bilingual negotiations and drafting cross border agreements that are practical and enforceable.
In order to implement our clients’ international business objectives, we work with and rely upon a number of different professionals that provide our clients with seamless and dependable legal services on their cross border transactions. Our experience, capabilities and contacts span the geographic reach of Mexico and the business reach of our clients.
Our US/Mexico experience and clients is varied and diverse and includes the following:
- Planning, establishing and dismantling production facilities and maquiladoras in Mexico
- Planning, structuring and implementing cross border joint ventures and related Mexican incorporation, due diligence, environmental, labor and immigration compliance and permitting
- Technology transfers and protection of intellectual property (Cross border technology licenses)
- Structuring the acquisition, sale, leasing and financing of major Commercial and Residential Properties in Mexico
- Developing master-planned tourist projects along Mexico’s Restricted Zone (“Zona Restringida“)
- Bi-lingual negotiation and drafting of cross border agreements
- Cross border commercial litigation and arbitration
- Enforcement and recognition of foreign judgments in Mexico.
- Enforcement and recognition of foreign judgments in the U.S.
IPG assumes the responsibility of working with our clients to provide them the cross border legal guidance they need to set up their cross border operations and craft an adequate strategy in order to implement their business and legal objectives in a timely, cost effective and reliable manner. Once the nature and scope of the objectives are defined we assume responsibility for managing the process, overseeing the activities of our foreign associates and implementing the client’s objectives. In short, we assume responsibility for the process and remain directly accountable to our clients to provide them with the timely completion of their objectives.
Our attorneys are bilingual and bicultural, and represent a diverse practice who have experience representing both Mexican individuals and companies, and U.S. companies whose legal needs span the border.
IPG attorneys have substantial experience in a wide array of international commercial matters. In order to expedite our client’s needs as well as maintain a consistent level of quality control and responsiveness the IPG has licensed Mexico Lawyers on staff.
The IPG’s internal staff and resources are complemented by an extensive network of well established affiliations that we have developed over the last 25 years with select Mexican Attorneys and consultants located throughout Mexico. Our affiliated law firms and consultants offer the full spectrum of traditional business, legal, and accounting services including real estate, corporate, labor, tax, patents and trademarks, litigation, and environmental issues. As a result, we are able to offer our clients a unique combination of U.S. style personal attention and responsiveness to their cross border legal needs combined with the know-how and relationships that are often a critical component of a cross border venture.
IPG’s Mexico Real Estate Practice Area specializes in assisting our clients’ structure the sale, acquisition, leasing, financing and development of major commercial and residential properties in Mexico. Read More…
PG’s U.S. real estate practice area specializes in assisting clients structure the acquisition, sale, leasing, financing and development of commercial, industrial, residential and hospitality properties in the U.S. Read More…